Re: [Amps] Damage?

To: Robert Kirkland <alpha76@triton.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Damage?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:36:41 -0400
Robert Kirkland wrote:
> Didn't intend to start  Spam or OT thread, just a quick question. This
> referees to a 100% Jap built machine with remote door locks, anti theft,

There are only a few that are 100% any where, so that narrows the make
and model down pretty close<:-))
As I said in an earlier post we have one of those, rather than the 50 or
60% out of Detroit or Flint and I've had no problems with it, but due to
the small battery I'm leery of hooking directly to the battery and the
internal wiring is a bit light for the power to my TM-D700 or 710, or
Icom 7000 so I run a line directly to the fuse block.  No problems with
interference. The antenna is a mag mount holding one of the big Diamond
colinear 144/440 antennas or a Larson 5/8ths wave mag mount.  I've had
some *short* antennas on mag mounts that caused RF back into the radio,
but the Diamond mount and antennas come with a warning about using the
little antenna on a mag mount. (I had to find out for myself <:-)) )  As
for the HF, I got tired of all the menus and sold the rig although it
worked great. I just found it very inconvenient to change much of
anything while mobile.

The biggest problem is finding a accessory plug (heavy duty cigarette
lighter plug) heavy enough to handle to current for the radio.  Hence
another good reason to run the power leads directly to the battery.
However it'd be a good idea to put a relay in the line so it disconnects
when the car power is turned off.

> automatic everything. Just didn't want to bust it. Nuff said.
> Bob

Considering what the auto industry has done in the past, the warnings
they put out for *some* cars, and power limitation in others, it's a
question that's not all that far off the mark regardless of the smart
remarks may of us, myself included, are tempted to make.

BTW those early V-6 "Cab forward" Chrysler products had a signal on
147.00 at a distance of one block that was stronger than our repeater at
3 miles and the repeater works 2-way consistently out to around 40 to 50
miles.

73

Roger (K8RI)