Re: [Amps] Titan fan

To: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan fan
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:52:30 -0400
John and others, I went through an extensive search for  replacement
blower motors, though not the blower itself, a year or two ago.  I also
have a copy of the original drawings and specifications for the 425
blower motor.  I had personally informed John Maples before he retired
that I was almost certain that the older Alpha blower motors would be
direct replacements for the original 425 motors.

The bottom line is that the motors used in the Alpha 86 and probably
other early Alphas appear to be identical to the motors that were used
in the 425s.  However, when I recently ordered a replacement fan motor
from Alpha, the motor that I received was less powerful than the ones
currently in my 425s and the Alpha 86 motor that I had obtained
independently.  It will, however, fit the existing mounts, etc. in the
425.  I have pasted below my response to another seeker of fan
replacement info for the 425.  I believe it summarizes what you want to
know.

/First, I have not tried actually replacing the Titan blower motor with
an Alpha motor. I was sent an original Alpha 86 motor from an owner who
had an extra. The motor appears to be identical to the ones in my Titans
and, if my memory serves, the manufacturer was the same as that in the
Titan. The specs are identical to the specs on a drawing that TT
provided us last year. So I am 99% confident that this original Alpha 86
motor will fit and work in the Titan.

I ordered another motor directly from Alpha. They had a hard time
getting them from their supplier. Eventually, it arrived and it is
different from the one from the Alpha 86 above. It is 17W vs 23W and the
thickness of the lamination stack is smaller (which I guess accounts for
its lower power rating). However, the mounting dimensions and stack
width and height are identical to the Alpha 86 motor, and most probably
will work in the Titan. However, since my invoice and a label on the
motor said "Alpha 76," I called Alpha and asked them if they had
supplied an Alpha 86 motor would I have received the same motor as an
Alpha 76. The answer was "yes." I had been told by others that Alpha
used the same blower for the 76 through the 86. My guess is that Alpha
can't get the original types anymore and is now supplying the type that
I received.

/73, Joe
K2XX