Re: [Amps] AL-82

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-82
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:46:02 -0500
I don't own an AL-82 but I do own an AL-80A that I modified for about
3800 V idling and about 3600 V full-load Doing this reduced the drive
requirements a bit and increased the output a bit less than the
reduction in drive requirements, but the increased output was not
very impressive. Regadless, I think that any dual 3-500Z running GG
will need more than 100W drive to reach full output on some bands.
It's the nature of 3-500Zs in GG operation. That Ameritron runs the
B+ at 3600 V idling and 3300 V under load will reduce the drive
requirements a bit, but it still requires a fair bit of smoke in to
get all the smoke out.

Kim Elmore, N5OP