Re: [Amps] What is wrong with my Alpha?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What is wrong with my Alpha?
From: "Chris Codella, W2PA" <w2pa@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:02:11 -0500
Bill,

When you say it's keyed at 30 WPM, do you mean you're keying the amp
(QSK) and allowing it to key the transmitter - or the other way around?
It should work fine in either direction if the transceiver is properly
sequenced.  But if the RF gets applied a bit too soon it can fault the
amp.  I've had this happen while driving my 89 with a Collins
transmitter, in which the amp-keying relay is cascaded after the main
keying relay.  So even with slow PTT it faults.  I had the same symptom
- no red indicator lights after fault.  There are multiple ways to fix
this kind of thing by getting the keying sequence right.

On the other hand, the fact that you tried 3 different transceivers
makes me wonder about the timing being the real cause of your problem.

73,
Chris, W2PA