[Amps] metering HV on PAs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] metering HV on PAs
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:47:35 -0700
Unless I am very lazy and cheap, I usually put a separate divider in for
metering, or a series meter multiplier resistance. You can get 1 to 5 Meg
skinny but long wirewound HV resistors from various sources, I usually go to
the surplus store in town for mine. They can be 0.5 or 1%, sometimes as high as
2% tolerence, and don't drift much as they are high enough as to not be
dissipating much power, not like a bleeder whose purpose IS to load the supply
a bit, and drain the caps when it is shut off. But using 2 Watt carbon comp
resistors is not great, unless you put a lot of them in series. The newer metal
oxide and film resistors appear to be excellent.
73
John
K5PRO