Re: [Amps] metering HV on PAs

To: <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] metering HV on PAs
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:43:28 -0500
Puttin in a string of 14 1M 1/4W as used in the SB-220 replacement board
doesnt give me much confidence either. Just the thought of having 3kV on
the top one gives me the shivers.

Wire wound bleeders dont drift in value otherwise precision nichrome
meter shunts would be of no use. The miniscule leakage in good caps can
also be discounted. The days of using carbon comps for much of anything
is long past.

Ive seen commercial/industrial amps use both methods of measuring HV. It
really boils down to a personal choice and component availability. In
some cases I would also use a seperate string

Carl
KM1H