Re: [Amps] 3CPX800A7

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CPX800A7
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:13:51 -0500
> This looks like an awesome mod for the Titan, I don't get the feeling
> the P is a drop in.
>
> http://hamradiomarket.com/articles/Titan%20P%20Hybrid.htm.
>
> My contest group has 2 of these which take a huge beating running during
> a contest weekend- all on original tubes.
> I have one and at least two of the other guys have the '425
>
> 73
> Jay- w1uj
>
> ==========
>
> Has anyone replaced the 3CX800A7 in the Titan 425 with 3CPX800A7 tubes? Any
> mods needed or things to be aware of?

Hi Jay,

As we speak I have two 3CPX800A7 tubes in my 425. I have done no
other modifications to it. The P is a drop in.

I'd looked at that page before and it sounds interesting. Seeing as
Dick Frey K4XU designed the amp (He has 425 Serial #1) I would
consider it engineered to the highest quality standards. I'm sure the
mods suggested work as described but I'd hate to undo an engineered
work like the 425 if it's otherwise running perfectly. 1/2 of my K3's
output gets my 425 to 1,500 out and full Bore out, I get between 2.2-
2.4KW out and I don't think I'd want to push it much more than that
assuming I did beef up the suggested components.

Does seem like a really nice mod. If the blower on this ever goes,
I've thought I might do that mod & redesign the amp to accept a
different shape blower at the same time.

Merry Christmas & Happy Chanukah,

Gary
KA1J