Re: [Amps] Amp Comparison Advice Please

To: <k7rx@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Comparison Advice Please
From: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:00:56 -0800
Kevin,

Firstly both are pretty good amps.

The TL-922 is visually more modern in design than the Clipperton-L.  The 4 x
572B tubes in the Clipperton are comparable in price to the 2 x 3-500's in
the TL-922 if you had to change out the set.  Both types of tubes are easy
to get hold of.

If you are 160 meter fan, you may not be so happy with the Clipperton-L as
it suffers from low output without some modifications being done.

My Clipperton-L needs a fair amount of drive, more than most modern 100 watt
rigs can give to drive it to full output, so I keep it hooked up to my old
Kenwood 520S.

The Clipperton does not have a tuned input as standard, so that would be a
question to ask your friend.  Most modern transistor rigs like to see 50
Ohms and this will not be the case with the Clipperton-L unless it has a
tuned input board added at sometime.  This means that you would have to use
an ATU between your rig and the Clipperton-L.

I sold my TL-922 a long time ago because I was short of money at the time, I
wish I had to not though.  I still have my old Clipperton L which I have
kept in good shape over the years.

Both are old amplifiers and you would have to consider how easy it is to
find parts for these amps, If I remember the TL-922 may have parts that are
hard to find like switches etc.  I have managed to keep the Clipperton going
with parts from Ameritron like the Choke which just about fits in, I am not
so sure it would be so easy with the TL-922 because if I remember there was
not much spare room in that amp.

That said, I would probably go with the TL-922 if you can find one in good
condition or look for a used Ameritron AL-572 that uses 4 x 572B's and are
not so expensive used and will put out 1300 watts, and at least you would
always be able to get parts for it.

Mike, K6BR