Re: [Amps] 3-500zs to 8877

To: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500zs to 8877
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:12:36 -0600
Roger sub1@rogerhalstead.com wrote:
> If you haven't done one before, most conversions are likely to offer a
> surprise or two and remember the Henry amps had little or not protection
> circuitry that you find in todays amps.
>
> Were it me, and it's not, unless going for a major project I'd most
> likely leave it as is which is what I did with my 2K4.

I was somewhat interested in this Henry and did some mad-minute
googling and even called Terry (KI7M) and talked with him for a few
minutes about this particular amp.  However, isfa I can see, the Henry
2K4 offers nothing that my modded SB-220 cannot do as well or better.
What I was hoping for, was a continuously tunable 2-30mcy amp as the
220 is not... it being limited to whatever the slugs are tuned to.
I would prefer to avoid SS as these FETs are quite delicate it seems.
An amp running on 2 or 3 3-500Zs would be SWEET! <G>

I know that Henry made a/some State Dept/DOD amp which WAS tunable
from about 1.8 to 30mcy+
I just don't know which model(s) they were and how available they were
when those users went to secure satellite or whatever they are now using.

Does anyone know of model numbers for these Commercial (non Amateur)
amps???

thanks
73 de chas, k5dam