[Amps] Many Unusual sources of HV and some amp parts are out there.

Subject: [Amps] Many Unusual sources of HV and some amp parts are out there.
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:17:04 -0500

Rex Lint wrote:
> I'm surprised I hadn't found the connection between this industry and ours
> before!

I worked in the semiconductor industry for over 26 years.  We used RF
generators that ranged from 6 or 8 KW out into widely varying impedances
to some that were well into the hundreds of KW output.We also used RF
and DC plasma generators.

When they modernized and got mostly out of the float zone single crystal
business they sold off a lot of the equipment.  I purchased two of the
small generators.  The plate transformers were single phase 440/408
primaries with center tapped 6600 volt secondaries.  One local ham
stripped out the RF deck which BTW contained a pair a Jennings vacuum
variable capacitors suitable to the tune and load caps for 80 through
10. The smaller was motor driven.  He then put in a 4-1000.  He joked
that although he many not have had the most powerful ham amp but he most
likely had the heaviest.  The cabinet was about 4 X 4 X 4 feet made of
roughly 1/8" steel with a door on the PS and the RF deck sides.

How heavy were these?  I don't have an actual figure, but I purchased
two of those "small" generators and brought them home on a pickup
truck.  We set up a block and tackle with skids to get them out of the
truck. As the last one made it to the skids I noticed the front wheels
"bouncing" and three of us jumped onto the front bumper as it headed up.
Three of us added enough weight to bring the front end down *slowly*,
but the generator which had made it to the skids wasn't going to stop at
this point.  The hope was that the front end would be down by the time
the weight was off the back end, but it was apparent that was not to
be.  *Fortunately* the front end only had about 3 feet to go when the
generator's weight shifted onto the skids.  All three of us jumped at
that point.

All I can say is, Man! What a cloud of dirt!  I didn't realize that old
truck was hauling that much of mother nature around.
I took one of the transformers down stairs by myself.  I'm still not
sure how I managed that as it took two guys to get the thing out of the
basement. (That's probably what's wrong with my back now <sigh>)It was a
nice, clean, open frame transformer with the windings on each leg,
shellacked and terminals for everything.

BTW, I purchased those two generators for about $30 each.

Many industries use RF generators and with the economy being what it is,
it'd probably pay to keep track of business auctions as well as putting
out some feelers to find out who uses what  in any particular area.