Re: [Amps] ALS-1300

To: "'Rob Atkinson'" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALS-1300
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:17:19 -0500
> The problem is that Ameritron is sloppy with their design.
> The amplifier board in the ALS-600 is almost a part for part
> copy of the Helge Granberg/Motorola application note EB104.
> The amplifier has a high power gain - in excess of 20 dB for
> the transistors - with a gain variation of as much as 4 dB
> depending on construction across the 1.5 to 30 MHz operating
> range.  Ameritron then choose to use ALC to control transmitter
> output and accommodate this overdrive.
>
> When ALC is used to reduce the output from most modern solid
> state transceivers they do become very "dirty."   Instead of
> ALC, the Granberg design should be used with 6 or 7 dB of
> fixed attenuation up to 6 DB of variable attenuation (1, 2
> and 3 dB fixed attenuators) that can be switched into the
> circuit on a per band basis.  This allows the amplifier to
> operate linearly with the full output of most modern solid-
> state transceivers - a situation that allows for minimum
> ALC and optimal operation.
>
> The same considerations apply to the ALS-1300 which is likely
> to be very similar to the ALS-600 with two Grasberg amplifier
> modules and a splitter/combiner.

Ameritron had an ALS-1300 with clear cover in their display at
the Orlando Hamcation last weekend.  The physical construction
looks reasonable - perhaps a bit above normal for them.  It
is most certainly built with two of the Granberg design RF
modules and splitter/combiner.  The lowpass filter assembly
has been beefed up over the one in the ALS-600.  However, the
amplifier relies far too much on ALC instead of switched
attenuators (by band) or a gain compensating network to control
drive and output power.

At roughly $2900 list, the ALS-1300 is interesting when compared
with other "higher power" solid state offerings like the PW-1,
Quadra and HL-2.5Kfx.  However, it is not cost effective when
compared with the AL-572 at the same power level for $1700 or
full power amplifiers like the AL-82 (2 x 3-500Z) and AL-800HF
(2 x "imported" 3CX800) at $2700.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV