[Amps] Any Henry experts on the list? REPOST

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Any Henry experts on the list? REPOST
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:09:21 -0600
This frequency agile amp problem is not getting simpler that I can
tell -  I know now that I really do NOT want a solid state amp because
the FETs like to blow out unless they have really good protection
circuits and in that case, they just like to load fault to the point
that they will not operate.  but THEY ARE FREQUENCY AGILE!!!

I picked up the phone and called the local amp mfr (Worthmore.com) in
Tomball who builds SS amps for export only since his are not type
accepted by the FCC.  but he is working on that.

Point of the discussion boiled down to the fact that he felt that
since I wanted a TUBE amp with SS freq agility, that I should find a
"K" model Henry with VARIABLE COILS and FIXED CAPS.

sounds to me like the amps used in embassies and Naval Ships, etc.
in the days of the BWD dipole, etc.<G>

IS THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS A MODEL NUMBER OF A HENRY WHICH WOULD MEET
MY WANTS for an infinite 160 to 10m HF by setting the coils or
bandswitch to the nearest band marking and then fine tuning???

Please contact me off list since I am sure that most are not
interested in this discussion.  I figure that a recently used ~200lb
Henry, legal limit, on the used market, would not cost much, if any..
more than a Tokyo HPower, Alpha, etc.

thanks for reading this.. and any replies
73 de chas - k5dam, Houston, TX