Re: [Amps] Doorknob quality

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Doorknob quality
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:30:13 -0500
While the site quoted has the info in there, it is kind of hard to
follow/read.

Here is an example of how to size a plate padding capacitor.
Let's assume we have an amp with a plate load impedance of 2000 ohms that
puts out 1500 watts. To find the voltage across the plate tune or padder
capacitor;
V=square root of power times resistance. So RMS RF voltage would be square
root of (2000 x 1500) = 1732 volts across the capacitor.

If you use a 100 pf capacitor at 1.8 MHz it will have a reactance of 884
ohms.
1732 volts divided by 884 = 1.96 amps of current thru the capacitor.

If you look at the Hi Energy web site at 7.5 kv capacitors, a 100 pf
capacitor has a current ratting of 3.6 amps at 1.8 MHz. that should work
fine.

http://www.highenergycorp.com/ceramic/ht50.html

However if you were to use a 400 pf capacitor in its place, the reactance of
the 400 pf cap would be 221 ohms at 1.8 MHz.
with the same 1732 volts of RF energy there would be 7.8 amps of current
thru the capacitor.
Looking again at the current rating for that capacitor you find that it is
only rated at 3 amps! Yes it will get hot.

So using smaller capacitors in parallel is the better choice.

73
Gary  K4FMX