Re: [Amps] Open Reply to Steve Cook

To: "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Open Reply to Steve Cook
From: "David Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:42:10 -0500
    OK, time for my $.02.
    In the last month I have bought 2 transformers from Jeff, and other
stuff as well.  He has been helpful & straight-forward in all transactions,
and both transformers were designs by Peter he had not yet made since he
purchased the rights to the designs.  One he modified for me slighly at my
request, no sweat.  Compared to what I had priced previously over the last
couple years Jeff was VERY reasonable, and great to deal with as well.  I am
pleased he is carrying on the Dahl line, and my experiences with him
demonstrate to me he is doing so in the best tradition he can.
    Does it stink that a good HV transformer costs 3 or 4 figures- YES!
That said, the market is the market, and Jeff has been open about all of it
with me.  He is entitled to a profit, and even with that he has been open &
honest.  Do YOU work for free?  Are you entitled to even a small profit?  I
find him competative, or even better than other (unknown quality)
manufacturers.  Hams are cheap and you all know it.  If you want a bargain
hamfest price from someone who doesn't know what they have, you darn well
better attend and bargain-hunt.  Otherwise quit moaning on the list about
prices of new components for amps that, by the way, are obviously built for
broadcast output.  If you want a transformer NOW with the correct specs & a
proven design, see Jeff.  Otherwise build it yourself (and yes, I looked
into that too).

    David Craig N3DB