Re: [Amps] SWR & other things...

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SWR & other things...
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 02:24:36 -0500

Carl wrote:
> Tuners are generally a waste of money and power (you didnt think they
> are 100% efficient?) for coax feedlines.
What! They're not? Must be politicians selling them<:-))

Seriously though, I'd love to have autotuners mounted at the feed
points, but that's a bit impractical for a bunch of center fed, half
wave slopers. OTOH it'd work great for my half sloper on 160. Of course
when it comes to servicing a remote mounted tuner at the top of a 100'
tower there are a few problems not to mention the reliability issue.
Then there is the problem of numbers.  I currently have two on 75, two
on 40 and one on 160, soon to be three on 75 and 40, but still only the
one on 160, Still that leaves 7 antennas and the center point on a
sloper isn't exactly ideal to mounting the coils, caps, remote controls,
and enclosure. Then I'd have to get the power to it as well.  Guess I'll
have to stick with using line tuners back in the shack.  My solid state
KW is kinda picky as to SWR and  it doesn't take much at all for a
substantial drop in power.

Now if the market would only improve so I could tackle the antennas and
the new 4CX2500 amps...As well as a 756 Pro III for the shop.<sigh>
Then there's the 470 cubic inch, 6-cylinder, 260 HP Continental in the
Deb that will be needing a major fairly soon...and 100 octane "Low Lead"
is going to become impossible to get in the not too distant future.
<sigh again>

73

Roger (K8RI)