Re: [Amps] HV PS transformer

To: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV PS transformer
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:16:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Paul,
   I conjured up a simple solution for winding that style of transformer a
while back.

   "Standard" Teflon isulated wire is typically rated for 600 volts.  The 3KV
rated stuff is too thick.

    Instead, run two #22 teflon insulated wires through some #12 teflon tubing.
 Then, parallel as many of these assemblies as necessary for the required
secondary voltage and feed them all through tubular copper braid which will
become the primary.  A piece of woven fiberglass tubing, typically used in
under the hood automotive wiring, over the outside completes the assembly.

  This single cable is then wound around the core(s).

  I connect the pair of wires from each teflon tube in series; then to
individual 1KV fast diode bridges.

  These bridges are then connected together to create the output voltage.

  With 380 volts on the primary, 8 secondary runs (4 tubes) are good for 3KV.

  The only disadvantage of this scheme is that all the extra insulation does
need more core window area than would typically be required.

  Incidently, that '91 QEX article is overly heavy on the core side.  A few
more primary turns will greatly reduce the core cross section requirement.   At
these frequencies and power levels, almost any core of the correct material and
large enough to accomodate the windings will be adequate.

73 & Good afternoon,
   Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/