[Amps] HV PS transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HV PS transformer
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:02:08 +0000 (UTC)

GM gents,

Part of my (3cx800A7) amplifier project is to do something "new".   Well OK,
it's old, but new to me.

I'm trying to reproduce the switch mode power supply outlined by Tim Hullick
W9QQ (SK) in Feb 1991 QEX.   Things are fairly strait forward, but I'll throw a
question to the list.

In the article Tim says:   "...The secondary winding consists of as many turns
as required, looping through the pipes to provide the necessary secondary
voltage.  For any high secondary voltage, Teflon (r) - insulated hookup wire
should be used because of it's superior insulating properties at high
voltages.   Any small gauge Teflon wire can be used as long as the required
number of turns will not be too tight in the pipes.   I used standard no. 20."

Q.  So does that mean the secondary wire needs to have a minimum insulation
voltage rating of the secondary voltage i.e. greater than 2200V?

I have found Teflon coated wire with that high of insulation ration, however I
have doubts he could get 50 or so turns through a 3/8 id pipe.

Q.  Any ideas on what Tim might have been getting at and what suggestions for
wire and sources?

BTW, parts placement is going along, what a chore to get everything to fit!

Thanks and 73,

Paul kg7hf