[Amps] plate dissipation and duty factor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] plate dissipation and duty factor
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:15:11 -0700
If you have a CCS spec for 100 Watts plate dissip (Pd), then don't list plate
dissipation going up to 500 watts for unprocessed SSB. Unless you are talking
intermittent power to the plate, similar to pulse operation where the peak
dissipation is higher than the CCS #. But to prevent misunderstandings, its
best to not list a peak plate dissipation, instead give a peak output and an
efficiency, from that one can calculate the Pd... I am not certain that voice
on SSB is the same as duty factor of short pulses that is readily calculable.
If the voice peaks are long, then i would think there would be excessive
heating in the anode, if you started out very close to the CCS rating in full
carrier, then switched to SSB. Contact Reid Brandon or George Badger, sometimes
they read this list. Both have extensive experience with CPI/Eimac products. I
am mainly speaking for pulse amplifiers which I work with daily.
John
K5PRO