Re: [Amps] Odd efficiency shift on 80m band

To: Jeff Blaine <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Odd efficiency shift on 80m band
From: garyschafer@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:24:59 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Jeff,

You didn't tell us how much grid current there was in each part of the band for
each test. You also seem to have the amp loaded heavier where the efficiency is
lower, you are running more power there. That can make a difference.

Try loading it to the same power input and see what it does.

The plate choke can also make a difference . There will be more circulating
current in the choke at the lower frequencies so more loss in the choke. I did
not do any numbers so off hand I don't know how much difference there.

The 70 some % efficiency that you quoted in an earlier email is unrealistic for
a linear amplifier also. If you were seeing that much then the amp was no
longer operating in a linear mode. You were overdriving it.

Another possibility is an error in the wattmeter from one end of the band to
the other.

73

Gary  K4FMX