Re: [Amps] 810 Amplifier

To: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 810 Amplifier
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:16:38 -0400
Jeff, its not the tubes that are fault in the SB-200. The culprit is in
the input networks and that has been discussed in print and on the
Internet over and over.

On 6M I use an input that not only provides a 1.1:1 VSWR to the exciter
but also allows the maximum power transfer to the tubes.

Also since it is now a monoband amp there is no constant tuning up
involved; once tuned leave it alone until you change antennas. Tuning
probably ruins more tubes of any type than simply operating.

In SSB/CW at a nominal 1200W input and 60% efficiency there is 480W in
heat dissipated in the tubes. I wouldnt run a SB-200 at more than 800W
INPUT for RTTY & digital. Besides the tubes the transformer isnt rated
for continuous duty and a RTTY contest could smoke it if not derated.

Carl
KM1H