Re: [Amps] 810 Amplifier

To: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 810 Amplifier
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:02:07 -0400
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 5:47 PM

> Carl,
>
> I don't have any experience with the tube at 50mhz.  But in my
> particular case, on 10mhz, the efficiency had dropped down to
> something like 40%.  And that was with a matched input network.  Like
> I say, it's the water as our experiences are so far apart there must
> be another factor in here to explain the delta.

Something is definitely wrong with your water Jeff. What is your input
circuit? Its easy to have a good match to the exciter and a poor
transfer to the tube. Just about any output tank circuit will work, 30M
isnt much above audio <G>

> I have a datasheet from "Husky" that is ancient.  They spec a 2500V
> service and have a mention of 225w plate dis.  No mention of upper
> frequency range but the data sheet is listed at 30 mhz in their
> example.

Yeah, I have the same one from O'Malley, dated 1963 I think. Seems a few
enterprising hams were rebranding Cetrons and trying to get some SSB
action. Taylor built the tube for AM modulators and then AM disappeared
almost overnight. Cetron twisted Heathkits arm to use it at HF and the
rest is history.

  So I do beleive the old tubes are probably much stronger than
> the current vintage of Chinese made units.

Agree about current ones but less than a year ago I could beat on the
Penta's and never had a failure. Same with their 3-500's.

> You make a very good point about the tune-up.  And I am probably
> underestimating the number of guys using SSB which by it's nature is
> very easy on the tubes.

The 30% duty cycle goes up into the CW range with processing.

> One thing I can say, again in my case only, the SB200 transformer is
> really a star performer.  I don't know what the CCS rating is (not
> advertised that I could find) but Harbaugh told me it was 500ma @
> 850v.

Dahl lists it as 800V/500ma in an old catalog.

> I have been using this one here in a variety of load situations over
> the last 6 months and the TX will put out 700ma with only a minimal
> rise.  Even on RTTY contest run-mode data, I could go about 1 hour
> before the exterior temp hit 50C and at that point I shut it down.  I
> don't know what the internal temp would have been but I was worried
> that I would inadvertently hit a breakdown temp of one of the
> insulating materials and fry the tx.  No easy way to measure the core
> temp so I just picked 50C as the max point and called it safe there.
> I planned to replace that TX with a custom unit and so have given it
> hell quite a lot and the thing just keeps on performing.

You got more nerve than Id have!  Ive tweaked 900W out of a pair of
Pentas once and 800 many times on 6M, Needless to say I didnt keep them
there for long and advise the customers to back off on the drive.

Get back to me with that 30M info, something is amiss.

Carl
KM1H