Re: [Amps] Sleeve Baluns FS

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sleeve Baluns FS
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:55:28 -0700
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:56:16 +0430, Marv Gonsior wrote:

>Ive noted the thread regarding baluns with interest and I have 5 ferrite
>cores that are a perfect fit over RG-8 type coax to make a good sleeve
>balun.  They measure 1 1/8 in length, with a 1 o.d. and a « i.d.

You didn't say what ferrite material these are, but this is pretty close
to what Palomar sells as a "high power current balun." That one is a VERY
inferior version of W2DU's choke. 5 cores of any material I know of is
woefully inadequate to provide much choking impedance on the HF bands. If
it's #31 or #43, it's starting to be useful on 6M.

Yes, I know there's a piece on a choke like this in a recent QST, but the
only thing good about it is the mechanical construction. The engineering
is lousy. The technical basis for my statements is in my tutorial.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC