Re: [Amps] Sleeve Baluns FS

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sleeve Baluns FS
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 23:07:49 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:04:53 -0700, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>
>> Jim, I think you missed the statement that the cores are 1-1/8" long.
>
> No, I didn't miss that at all, Vic. I have cores like that (including
> some that I bought from Palomar to see what they were selling as a
> balun). My comments are based on those cores. It is a very poor excuse
> for a common mode choke.

They may be made out of a material that's inappropriate for the job. But you
said

> 5 cores of any material I know of is woefully inadequate to provide much
> choking impedance on the HF bands.

and I disagreed, because the number of cores is irrelevant -- it's the total
length of the
cores that counts, not the number. If the usual cores are 3/8" long, these are
each worth
three of them, so five of these cores are the same as 15 of the usual size.

15 cores of #31 material make a pretty decent choke, at least above 3.5 MHz.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco