Re: [Amps] Doorknob Caps Needed: Background

To: "RICHARD SOLOMON" <w1ksz@q.com>, "Amplifier Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Doorknob Caps Needed: Background
From: "David Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:56:11 -0400
    Dick, many use the stock 1000pf cap.  I do too, but it makes me quezy as
the RF current rating is being taxed or probably exceeded.  That said, if
you need a new one a 200pf 15kv would be ideal if you can find one cheap
enough.  Otherwise a Sprague et al rated at 15-20kV should be fine- lots of
NOS 680pf et al out there for $3-5 at hamfests.  I have one homebrew 6m amp
using a single 7.5kv 200pf cap (same size as the 15kv so I have to
wonder...).  In my last homebrew 6m amp I used a pair of 100pf 15kV in
parallel.

    73 Dave