Re: [Amps] AL1200, RTTY contesting, temps, duty cycles (not 100%)

To: AMPS@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1200, RTTY contesting, temps, duty cycles (not 100%)
From: Pete Michaelis - N8TR <pete.n8tr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:23:17 -0400
At 01:30 PM 7/1/2009, Bill W6WRT wrote:

>I realized the amp was not going to do what I wanted (RTTY
>contesting) so I sold
>it to a CW/SSB guy and as far as I know he was happy with it.

My experience is different.  I have a very early AL 1200 (serial # 089) that I
purchased in 1985.  I have used it in many SSB, CW, and  RTTY contests.
It still puts out as much power as the day I got it.  It still has
the original tube.
The only problem I ever had was with the fan impeller moving on the shaft
creating a loud racket.  In the early days  I used it with a Drake TR7;
since the early 90's it has been paired with a Yaesu FT1000.  It has
been a great amp.  I hope my ACOM 2000A lasts as long.

73 Pete - N8TR