Re: [Amps] inexpensive HV fuse

To: Alex Eban <alexeban@gmail.com>, 'Angel Vilaseca' <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] inexpensive HV fuse
From: Dave white <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:15:46 +0100
I concur.....

If you want to limit flashover damage use a high power surge limit resistor in
the HT line between capacitor stack and plate choke, and use a fuse or
overcurrent trip in the primary

There was a circuit in Dubus by OE5JFL which used optoisolators and other
clever ideas to detect overcurrent and crowbar the ht away.  It seems a bit
overengineered to me but I've seen it work well.

Like others are saying, fuses are too slow and you have no real idea of how a
spring will behave.  Remember how much the tube costs and spend a few pennies
on a surge resistor

Cheers
Dave G0OIL