Re: [Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:35:15 -0400

> If the sections are joined via coax connectors, you have to
> take into account where 75 ohms ends and 50 ohms begins. The
> connectors are invariably of a 50 ohm type and their internal
> length must be added to the 50 ohm part of the matching section.

It depends on the type of connector.  UHF connectors are often
closer to 35 Ohms if I recall correctly.  N connectors can be
either 50 or 75 Ohms ... if using a barrel for splicing, it is
probably better to use a 75 Ohm barrel with a 75 Ohm center pin
on the 50 Ohm cable (removing one stand of the center conductor
if necessary).  If using a male/female connector pair then one
would use 50 Ohm connectors and "build up" the center conductor
of the 75 Ohm cable.

For HF work - even through six meters - the connector length
is less than 1 degree and can probably be ignored.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV