Re: [Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer

To: xxw0qe@comcast.net, gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] Asynchronous coax matching transformer
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:38:23 EDT

Hi all,in addition to the examples Larry offered, the scheme will also
match impedances less than 50 ohms, down to 22.2 ohms if I remember  correctly.

A two way power divider where two 50 ohm loads are in parallel requires a
25 to 50 ohm transformer which is easily handled with the series matching
method.

The only down side is the difficulty in adjusting the matching sections. On
 the other hand, transmission line calculations via Smith Chart or computer
 program will give the exact lengths in degrees needed so tuning is not a
real  requirement anyway.

If the sections are joined via coax connectors, you have to take into
account where 75 ohms ends and 50 ohms begins. The connectors are invariably of

a 50 ohm type and their internal length must be added to the 50 ohm part of
the  matching section.

The last issue is velocity factor of the coax and connectors. A serious
builder will be prepared to confirm these quantities before cutting the
matching  sections to length.

It is a real joy to go through the numbers and have the transformer turn
out right on frequency.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 8/1/2009 10:59:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,