Re: [Amps] plate bypass capacitor

To: "'Carl Clawson'" <carlclawson@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate bypass capacitor
From: "K6XN" <k6xn@att.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:51:42 -0700
Carl,

A "BA" rig is a "Boat Anchor" rig e.g. it has tubes, heavy transformers,
weighs a lot and is suitable for use as a boat anchor among other things
:-). 73, Ted, K6XN

PS FYI, I love and have restored many boat anchors which are still in use.
Back in 1961 I built my first homebrew dual 813 amplifier and ran a KW with
it. The entire ensemble probably weighed about 120 pounds with my homebrew
power supply made up of army surplus milspec components. I was only 17 then
and it was an awesome boat anchor to behold in its five foot tall 19 inch
rack panel. I operated it mainly after midnight from my then QTH in
Sacramento, California, driven by my Heathkit DX40 on cw and I worked a lot
of DX in the pacific on 40M and a lot of DX in Europe on 20M :-). The plates
glowed a faint cherry red at 1KW peaks and it was truly exciting watching
the plates glow on power peaks through the plexiglass. It was tough to
neutralize the pair of 813s though on 15M. 813s were plentiful as army
surplus back in 1961 and as a teenager it was exciting to build an amplifier
that actually worked using a pair of surplus 813s. (I don't want to talk
about TVI though on Sacramento TV channel 3  :-) )