Re: [Amps] 3CX800 and blower

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800 and blower
From: Don Kessler <ki6sz@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:08:59 -0400
On Monday 07 September 2009 10:26:42 am David J Windisch wrote:
> Does a 3CX800A7 require airflow any time the filament is lit, like, say,
> 3-500Z glass tubes with tender seals and 70-watt filaments?
>
> I'm thinking of leaving the (unobtanium) blower turned off, to lower wear
> and tear, until I need the power.
>
> Yep, I'm aware of the potential hazard of a senior moment: I have in mind a
> no-blower-no-operate interlock scheme.
>
> Tia & brgds,
> Dave, W8FGX

According to the data sheet for this tube and from talking to the folks at CPI
(Eimac) directly, forced air cooling is absolutely mandatory whenever current
is applied to the filament.

I know from personal experience that a few minutes of filament heating without
forced air cooling makes the tube very hot to the touch.  It is easy to
believe that the seals would overheat if this condition were permitted to
continue for greater lengths of time.

I would much prefer to replacement worn out blower than to replace the
tube(s).

73,
Don