Re: [Amps] 3CX800 and blower

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800 and blower
From: Bill Coleman <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:29:35 -0400
Carl wrote:
> Yes, according to the Eimac spec sheet.
>
> It also sounds like a good reason to install a 2 speed switch as is in a few
> commercial amps with that tube.
>
> It can be as elaborate as a thermal switch that runs the blower full speed
> when necessary, to a simple toggle switch and a resistor.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

A quick story regarding a 2-speed switch...   I had a 1st generation
TenTec Titan (pair of 3CX800s), its 2-speed fan switch is located on the
power supply.  I regularly operate wearing headphones & one day was
running RTTY.  I set the switch to high speed with my toe as the power
supply was on the floor under the op table.  A while later after many
contacts I went to change bands, grabbed the bandswitch on the Titan to
find it extremely hot, the case of the RF deck was too hot to touch.
Yep, mid-way on the HI/LO fan switch was NO fan.

This never happened again as I wired around the switch to force high
speed all the time.   I was very lucky, the amp is still around and the
tubes still going after 20+ years.

I still wear headphones all the time because my present amps make lots
of noise but both are protected by air flow switches.   The switch in
one is a simple microswitch with a long actuating arm & a brass vane. No
big deal to fabricate.

I'm not a 'fan' of two-speed fan switches!

73, Bill   N2BC