Re: [Amps] SB221 Low Power Help

To: vu3raz@gmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB221 Low Power Help
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:47:33 EDT
Rahul, You can't use the internal tuner because the amplifier input
impedance varies with drive level and the auto tuner tries to follow that. It
is
too slow for that kind of use.

The radio senses the higher vswr and reduces the drive power which
increases the impedance and so on..

A manually adjusted tuner will work much better in this application. In
fact, the amplifier input matching device is supposed to do this very job but
the Q of the tuned circuits is too low for modern solid state radios as it
was  designed 40 to 50 years ago when radios were tube type.

A small manual tuner will provide the needed Q boost to allow the radio to
deliver full power to the amplifier.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/8/2009 12:29:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,