Re: [Amps] 3-500Z heater voltage reduction

To: MIKE DURKIN <patriot121@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z heater voltage reduction
From: Kevin LaHaie <klahaie@centricata.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:26:43 -0700
Hi Mike

I think all the wire sizes you mentioned are too large, and the resistor
might be right on the edge dissipation wise.  I just went through this,
and reduced the filament voltage on my Henry 3K, which has a 7.5v
filament at 21.5amps that was running at 8.05 volts. It has 5 voltage
taps on the discreet filament transformer, but it still was too high.  I
solved the problem by inserting a 12" piece of #22  TEFLON COATED wire
in EACH filament transformer secondary lead, for a total of 24". That
was found by trial and error (only took 2 tries, found the voltage drop
with 3" of wire, and then calculated the necessary length.  Hit it right
on the money.)

So, for $1 worth of wire, you have a tried and true method that works
great.  The heat generated is distributed along the wire, just make sure
it isn't buried in a cable harness and the heat will disipiate without
any issues. Mounting a variac, even in a floor console Henry, jis not
without some mechanical complexity compared to this simple method, in my
opinion.

You definitely will benefit with a longer usable tube life with this
simple mod - voltages more than about 5% over spec apparently reduces
filament life significantly.  Truth be known, we usually kill our tubes
in other ways compared to running them 10,000 hours with excessive
filament voltage, but that's another story!

73 Kevin K7ZS