[Amps] FW: 3-500Z heater voltage reduction

To: amps fourm <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] FW: 3-500Z heater voltage reduction
From: MIKE DURKIN <patriot121@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:33:45 -0700

From: patriot121@msn.com
To: klahaie@centricata.com
Subject: RE: [Amps] 3-500Z heater voltage reduction
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:33:08 -0700

I think i have some RG-174 .. thats a micro-hardline. its innards are teflon,
just not sure on the Ga ... shouldn't be hard to find.... Think its probably my
best bet at the moment.
Great that one idea leads to another .... Ill get this beast whipped in no
time. (wonder if i should leave the copper jacket on as a heat spreader ??)
KC7NOA
> 3-500Z heater voltage reduction
>
> Hi Mike
>
> I think all the wire sizes you mentioned are too large, and the resistor
> might be right on the edge dissipation wise.  I just went through this,
> and reduced the filament voltage on my Henry 3K, which has a 7.5v
> filament at 21.5amps that was running at 8.05 volts. It has 5 voltage
> taps on the discreet filament transformer, but it still was too high.  I
> solved the problem by inserting a 12" piece of #22  TEFLON COATED wire
> in EACH filament transformer secondary lead, for a total of 24". That
> was found by trial and error (only took 2 tries, found the voltage drop
> with 3" of wire, and then calculated the necessary length.  Hit it right
> on the money.)
>
> So, for $1 worth of wire, you have a tried and true method that works
> great.  The heat generated is distributed along the wire, just make sure
> it isn't buried in a cable harness and the heat will disipiate without
> any issues. Mounting a variac, even in a floor console Henry, jis not
> without some mechanical complexity compared to this simple method, in my
> opinion.

Bing brings you health info from trusted sources. Try it now!