Re: [Amps] Step-start and 3-500Z filament life

To: "Bill W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step-start and 3-500Z filament life
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:30:18 -0500
You might ask Merit Arnold, W6NQ, of RF Parts that question as he is a
regular reader of this forum.

The SB-220 filament transformer is self limiting by design and allows a
rather gentle start up. Ive yet to hear of  a filament failure using a Heath
transformer.

I do make it a point to ensure that the actual socket voltage is 5.0V or a
bit less. The LK-500ZC I bought new in 86  still shows full output on 10M
and the filaments are at 4.85V, well within the 5% tolerance spec.

Carl
KM1H