Re: [Amps] Advice

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:51:41 -0500
I sometimes wonder if the published specs are on the conservative side.

Take the Amp Supply LK-800 series for example. It runs 3  3CX800's. The
cooling is by a Papst muffin fan mounted in the small enclosed (pressurized)
tube chassis. Of all the 800's Ive worked on for service or 6M conversion
Ive yet to see a heat blackened tube and this includes the -C and TNY
versions which can get close to 5KW out with 3CPX tubes.

The same lack of heat damage hold for the older Titan which uses a real
blower.

Look at any of the 8874 Alphas. After decades of use when the tubes are
barely showing gain they look almost new.

OTOH hand industrial/medical pulls are often heat discolored.

Carl
KM1H