Re: [Amps] Advice

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:48:19 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:15:27 -0500, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>If you want to critique Id appreciate it if you dont edit my post to suit
>your reply.

REPLY:

Ok, but in this instance it doesn't make any difference. Here's your entire
quote:

"Some of the cooling specs appear to be highly variable. I suspect that as
engineering staff changed and tube application changed the combination
resulted in different numbers.

In other cases the spec was written for CCS worse case wheras in ham CW/SSB use
the seal temperature caveat was used fo CYA. This leads to a lot of
guessing for home brew especially when temperature testing is not done."I

I think where we are having a misunderstanding is your statement "Some of the
cooling specs appear to be highly variable."  If you mean AIRFLOW specs, I
agree. If you mean COOLING REQUIREMENTS, I disagree. The cooling requirements
are to keep the seal temp below a certain maximum, period. How one arrives at
that by combination of electrical operating conditions and airflow is up to the
designer and operator. But the seal temp spec is absolute (with a small but
unknown headroom) and is not dependent on operating mode. That was my message
and if it was not clear, I apologize.

73, Bill W6WRT