Re: [Amps] Conservation of Energy!

To: "Bill W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>, "George" <K4GVT@comcast.net>, "Colin Lamb" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Conservation of Energy!
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:47:25 -0500
Bill,

True enough, but like most everything else the government attempts to do, it
has never been in the lead with regard to the detailed development of any
effort in any venue.  In our case the FCC  sort of points the way with
regulations and then keeps its fingers crossed that industry, associations,
and hobby proponents will do the heavy lifting.  Its always been up those in
the population who care about the hobby...seems like more and more too many
of us are only interested in our own personal enjoyment without much regard
for the long term health of the hobby!

After I read the post I sent this message to our radio club's reflector.  We
have many new hams and I know just from the on-the-air conversations at
gatherings that they all don't have the best understanding of basic
electricity, etc.
=============================

What follows is a sad recantation of a recent QSO between two hams. The
story was recently posted on a technical reflector.

I don't think the fault of the gross technical misunderstanding is theirs
alone. I would also place significant blame upon the radio clubs that
obviously ignored the basics when mentoring this two radio operators.

If you have technical questions about how things work please start with
Google to self educate yourself and then if there are still questions
remaining post your questions here.  Those of us who have some knowledge of
these things will answer your questions or if we don't have the answer we'll
say so and help find the answer!
==============================

Bill, our hobby is what we make of it. We can excel in our own tehnical
understanding as individuals and enjoy that aspect in total isolation or we
can also make an effort to share the knowledge (the long term view that is
good for the hobby).

I don't think it is up to the FCC, the ARRL, CQ magazine or the equipment
manufacturers to ensure the health of the hobby.

I think the good health of the hobby or the demise of the hobby is dependent
upon the base of the existing members of the hobby; it starts at the local
level, the radio club and the individual ham radio operator, the K7FM's of
the world.

What I would have liked to have read this morning is that K7FM joined the
QSO and explained to these two hams the basics about AC current, voltage and
watts consumed .  Instead he just allowed the misunderstanding to be
perpetuated!

73,
dave
wa3gin