Re: [Amps] Conservation of Energy!

To: Carl Clawson <carlclawson@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Conservation of Energy!
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:47:58 -0500

Carl Clawson wrote:
> There is another aspect to this sad yet funny tale, which is rampant in our
> society: innumeracy. People generally have no sense of magnitudes or
> estimation skills. When the newspaper accidentally prints "million" when
> they mean "billion" hardly anyone notices -- not the copy editors, nor most
> readers.
>
> Electricity rates are, at worst, 0.20 per kWh in the U.S.,
It's higher than that in California as I've seen reports of up to 38
cents per KWH during peak demand.
Here it's roughly 10 cents per KWH
> and the average
> is half that. Running sideband you are probably drawing less than a kilowatt
> from the mains while speaking.
At the legal limit of 1500 PEP out and a 20% duty cycle you are only
averaging 300.  At 60%  that's only  1/2 KW  add the rest of the station
and you might get 800 watts but that is without taking in the time for
listening.  Basically you are looking at about 1/3 of the time
transmitting...on average for about 267 watts. Me? I tend to be on the
long winded side so if I figure 50% I'm looking at 400 watts average
during a QSO. OTOH it may be hours between QSOs unless the band opens
for DX.  I doubt I run more than that 10 cents per day for power.
Now there is over 1600 watts of fluorescent lights in the shop so if I
went out there for the sole purpose of getting on the air, I'd be
spending about 20 cents per hour just for lights.  The two computers and
monsters with those 300 watt plus video cards and 125 watt CPUs and both
are usually doing "something"
> Assuming you talk half the time, you're
> averaging < 500 W. That's five to ten cents an hour. Unless you're on the
> mike 12 hours a day, you're looking at a few bucks a month.

I figure my computers (3 in the house and 2 in the shop at present  The
number constantly varies) cost me over $30 a month.<:-))
OTOH it's still a lot cheaper than going flying at 14 1/2 gallons of av
gas per hour...which reminds me I'm supposed to be at the airport in a
bit except the ceiling is getting lower and lower...and lower...with a
snow storm showing about 15 miles West of us.

73

Roger (K8RI)