Re: [Amps] Svetlana 4CX800

To: "James" <jgroover6@comcast.net>, "w3paw3pa.net" <W3PA@W3PA.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Svetlana 4CX800
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:38:59 -0600
I have bought quite a few tubes from QRO.  Fast shipment and decent pricing.

I have had 1 tube that failed the hi-pot test.  After some discussion with
QRO, there was no recourse in the end - so I would stress that purchasers
take careful note of the "as-is" comment.  I had to buy another one to
complete the set.

But I feel positive about the purchases overall.  f you want a guarantee,
MFJ or RF parts or whoever is happy to provide them - but the cost adder is
high.  On the other hand, the QRO stuff is probably mostly FB, and the risk
is low.  In my case, if I said the failure rate was 10%, I am still very
very far ahead of where I would have been had I bought "guaranteed" parts
from another guy.

And it's my guess that most of the NOS QRO sells will have a good hi-pot
result (that's probably reflected in their decent sales rating) - and that
in exchange for this much lower cost, the risk is pretty low.  Those russian
tubes are very well made.  Well packed.  And seem to be working just fine
despite my contest mode RTTY duty abuse.

The local QRO guy is in Texas and is a very pleasant gentlemen to deal with
as well.

My point here is that "cheap" and 'guaranteed' don't come as a set.  Reminds
me of a sign a guy had on the wall in his repair shop.  "cheap, fast, good -
pick any 2."

73/jeff/ac0c