Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?

To: n7rt@cox.net, w1ksz@q.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?
From: texasrf@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 03:55:50 EST

You are most fortunate Hardy. In addition to having the Millen  connectors
breakdown and turn into a resistor over time (at 4kv/8877), I  was very
nearly turned into an SK when the B+ wire broke off of one of them just  as my
left hand brushed the wire. I was out of commission for about ten weeks  and
have some nasty scars on that hand to commemorate the occasion.

The wire that broke was some fancy neoprene covered hv cable. The
insulation was wonderful but the center conductor was almost as robust as
cheese. A
few wiggles after soldering and the conductor would simply snap off  the
connector.

If the EPA ever gets wind of the potential for danger, the Millen hv
connectors will become extinct and in my opinion deserved.

I can't see a banana plug arrangement being any safer unless there is some
type of locking device to prevent accidentally unplugging the cable. I have
seen  some twist on connectors in the Mouser catalog that are interesting a
maybe up  to the job. The SHV connectors are certainly up to the task as
well.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/13/2010 12:12:43 A.M. Central Standard Time,