Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] which HV connector to use?
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:58:40 +0000
> I bought some h.v. wire and those millen plug/jack pairs from RF Parts
> a few months ago.  Now it seems they're inadvisable.   I admit the
> h.v. wire seems hard to work with, brittle and hard to strip.   RG213
> by comparison is a lot easier to work with.   I'm getting the
> impression I should go with that, hardwired into the amp cabinet with
> SHV connectors on the power supply cabinet.   Or is this overkill for
> 3.2 KV?

   No.
   I am rebuilding a 2 X 813 amplifier that a friend gave me, mostly updating
the power supply.
I plan on using Belden 8866 Ultor wire, that 3/16" red stuff that goes to the
bell of the CRT, it is
rated for 40 kV.  I plan on "lacing" a ground wire to it with flax lacing
twine.   It will go
through insulators at both ends and possibly secure at the amplifier end with
red High temperature
silicone sealer.  I planing on using ceramic stand off insulators and #8
machine screws (using ring
terminals) at each end as the "connectors."  It is a 3.6 kV (unloaded) supply
--
    Ron  KA4INM - There is no time like the pleasant.