Re: [Amps] NCL-2000 mods

To: "jim feldman" <mtnredhed@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] NCL-2000 mods
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:00:16 -0800
When you say grid current, I think you mean screen (Ig2) current.   It
won't matter that the B+ drops under load because the regulator will
accommodate that.  That's why you use the regulator.  J

It's a good idea to derive screen voltage from the B+ source, as that
way you can never have screen voltage without also having plate voltage
- well, maybe not "never," because if you blow out the plate choke this
could still happen - and that protects the screen from instant
annihilation should the B+ fail and the screen voltage still be present.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with lifting the cathodes above ground.
Keep the grid current very low (it is normally close to zero) and the
amp's clean enough.  Always LOAD the amplifier heavily; you'll see
(maybe you already did see) that the LOAD control can be adjusted to
reduce both screen and grid current.  If you "lightly load" the amp,
that's not good for signal purity or for the tubes.  Tune up at MAX
power, then if you want to run less power, reduce the drive.

73

Steve WB2WIK/6