Re: [Amps] Which HV connector to use.

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Jim Thomson'" <Jim.thom@telus.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Which HV connector to use.
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:26:27 -0600
> Ive a small box in the basement with arced Millens returned by customers.
> Examination shows that no flights of fancy with polished metal would have
> prevented failure. They were simply defective and dangerous, especially
for
> 4-1000A builders. I often show these to visitors and take them to
hamfests.

> Perhaps the manufacturing process had problems as there were 2-3 changes
of
> ownership at the time.
> My Millen sales were often replacements to hams whose old ones had cracked
> or arced over decades even at modest voltages so it wasnt entirely a new
> phenonoma.
>
> I still wont use them at any more than half their ratings; Ive enough safe
> alternatives here to choose from for higher voltages.

As Rich always says, there are still a few of us who choose to embark upon a
"trip down the river of the Pharos." Craftsmanship and skill cannot overcome
a serious safety issue. Unless a tragedy has occurred to them personally,
they ignore the many "war stories" that abound about the Millen  connectors.

All we are trying to do is keep them off the SK column in QST.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC