Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy

To: "Bill K2OWR" <k2owr@comcast.net>, "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:41:13 -0500
You may be surprised to know that the AL-82 uses the same capacitor vendor
with the same plate spacings as the SB-220. It uses the same bandswitch
construction as several Dentrons. Generic Modutec meters. A minimum strength
formed base and cover, decent cooling and PS. No special high quality
anywhere, just built to compete at a price. At $700 less than an AL-1200 it
doesnt take many problems to make that amp seem like a bargain. Some are
lucky with the -82; there are also thousands of SB-220's that have never had
a failure and are still on original tubes; I get them in here all the time
to convert to 6M.

When I was selling Ameritron in their independent days the AL-1200 outsold
the -82 by far. The best selling 2 x 3-500Z amp was the Amp Supply LK-500
series....I sold those also.

Carl
KM1H