Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes

To: <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>, "'amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:41:45 -0500
An under loaded amp will "flat top" (clip the peaks of the signal) and cause
splatter and distortion (Intermod). It is important that the amp be loaded
heavily for SSB operation. The best way to do that is to tune for maximum
output and then load a little heavier than that so the output drops
slightly. Then you will not overdrive the amp with voice. Back off the mike
gain slightly and talk. The best way to know is to then watch the signal on
a scope. Make note of the peak voltage on the scope when tuning is done and
then adjust the mike gain so that the peak voltage with voice never hits the
tune up peak level. That is head room.

73
Gary  K4FMX