Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Resonances

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Resonances
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:53:08 -0000
Here is a site on which SPICE models of some valves (tubes) are modelled
http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/Tubemodspice_article.html

I'm sure there are others

I've seen other 'difficult' models like loudspeakers, ie electro- mechanical
transducers, somewhere on the web.

The value I see in this approach is to foresee problems before spending time
and money letting the smoke out of expensive devices, particularly if you
are a beginner.  It could save explosive conditions in the extreme.

It would be a great service if someone could simulate well-known amplifier
types to determine the limitations of the software compared to the known
performance.  Account would have to be taken of the power supply of course
and various loads.  Here is one of the values of simulation: that a very
wide range of variables can be simulated for worst case scenarios.  You
could see at a glance where the big voltages and currents are and take
appropriate action.

As with any simulation, it's only as good as the individual components
simulated and those nasty little strays that are unseen but real.

Anyway, it's a good way to learn and fun.  We need to learn from those with
the real world knowledge.

Flame suit on...

David
G3UNA