Re: [Amps] Advice: harmonics from Alpha 91B on 160

To: gds <gerys1@verizon.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice: harmonics from Alpha 91B on 160
From: Robert Groh <rgroh@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:08:06 -0800 (PST)
Oh, boy, all kinds of questions to ask here.

First off - how is he detecting these harmonics?  It would be very easy to
overload the detecting device and have the harmonic being produced inside the
detecting device (e.g. receiver). Trying to measure harmonic content in close
proximity to the transmitter/PA is difficult in a non-lab environment. Using a
buddy a couple of miles away would be quite acceptable (if you know the
relative antenna gains, etc).

Second - every practical amplifier will have harmonic content. My mind is rusty
on what the current FCC requirements are but I believe it is somewhere south of
60 dB down from the output.  If he is putting out 1 KW means the harmonic(s)
could be as high as 1 mW (i.e. +30 dBw out - 60 dB = -30 dBw = 0 dBm) and be
entirely within specification.  1 mW is a lot of power!

Third - his antenna will undoubtedly have some (probably substantial) rejection
to the 3rd harmonic. So the 'radiated' 3rd harmonic will be knocked down even
more.

Fourth - if he is actually causing interference on the 3rd harmonic and it is
not interference caused by close proximity then I would simply recommend he
consider a simple low pass filter in his feed line (e.g. with a 3 MHz cutoff).
Should be fairly easy to build and would give > 15 dB attenuation.

Hope this all helps in a general sense.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY