Re: [Amps] Results from new PSUD... resistor b4 the B+ filter caps !

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Results from new PSUD... resistor b4 the B+ filter caps !
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:50:29 -0500
 >> Has anyone actually experienced a shorted filter C? Open C is far more
 >> common, in my experience.

 >> In more than 50 years of electronics I have never seen a shorted
 >> aluminum electrolytic cap. I have replaced hundreds if not thousands
 >> of open ones and I have seen shorted tantalums on many occasions, but
 >> that's all. I am sure it must happen but it seems to be exceedingly
 >> rare.

> How many would you like me to send from well known commercial amps?

> I always save various failed components as a teaching aid to those not
> familiar with amplifier service.

   With 50 years of fixing (and building) electronic thingies and
47 years as a broadcast engineer, I do not recall finding a shorted
electrolytic capacitor unless it was damaged by an outside influence
like a short elsewhere.  Tantalums every so often, if exposed to
ripple they will fail.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - I'm proud to be Chuck's pop!