Re: [Amps] Hotswitching issues 30s-1

To: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hotswitching issues 30s-1
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@telepak.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:46:51 -0600
At 09:56 AM 2/20/2010, Cecil Acuff wrote:

>It would be nice if transceiver builders would design in a programmable
>delay in acting on a PTT request till after the amp key line were asserted.

The MkV does.  Look at Menu 7-4 and page 12 of the manual.

Are you keying the 30S-1 directly from the rig?  Don't think I would do that.

The MkV can key your amp in one of two ways:

(1) with a (relatively puny) internal switching transistor, which
should only be used with modern amps, or

(2) using an internal relay in the MkV. Slower, but will key some of
the older amps that use 110V for their T/R relay. Even then you could
exceed the ratings of the MkV's amp-keying relay.

An external interface with high-speed transistor switch would save
the puny switching transistor in the MkV from destruction and would
be much faster than the MkV's internal mechanical relay.

73,
Charles - K5ZK